Saturday, January 14, 2023

Hold The Phone!

 Quick, what's this?

 
Darth Vader trying to levitate a pile of volcanic rocks from the planet Mustafar?  (Actually, that's a bowl of watermelon cubes).
 
A piggy bank like those old coffins where a skeleton hand comes out and takes your coin?
 
 
No?  Here's a clue.
 

Yes boys and girls, it's a phone holder!  It doesn't charge the phone.  It doesn't plug into the phone or communicate with it wirelessly in any way, shape or form, so it doesn't alert you to incoming calls or messages by flashing its eyes or anything like that.  It doesn't talk ("You have an incoming message, my master!") or do anything else special.  It just provides you with an interesting place to set your phone when you're not using it.  (At this point all the millennials out there are scratching their heads wondering "What do you mean when you're not using it?")

As anyone who has perused this blog before will already know all too well, I'm a bit of a Star Wars geek (and Star Trek geek, and Simpsons geek, and ...) so anyone who has occasion to buy me a present for whatever occasion and can't think of anything I need tends to get me Star Wars stuff (or Star Trek or Simpsons stuff).  It was my daughter who got me this thing last Father's Day.

I have to admit, for a geeky gift, it's surprisingly practical (now I always know where my phone is) and it is kind of an ego boost having the Dark Lord of the Sith as your own personal phone caddy.


 

6 comments:

emmzee said...

Hi Andy,

Just wanted to let you know that I added your Sea Hunt game to my website DOSGames.com, so now lots of people will be able to (re-)enjoy it. Sorry that it took so long!

https://dosgames.com/game/sea-hunt/

Darren
Webmaster, DOSGames.com

Halmanator said...

That is freakin' awesome! What a blast from the past. Runs a bit faster than I remember. Thanks for the memories, Darren.

Halmanator said...

Incidentally, I see the game is being run by DOSBox. If you can turn on PCjr. emulation, the sound will improve.

Anonymous said...

I remember watching you work on this game back in my college days; it still runs great on newer PC's via DOSBox. There was another game (forgot the name) you were working on as well, a sort of Tie-fighter shooter ...

Do you remember the "Star Trek" game that ran on the old HP3000 dumb terminals?

Hilarious!

Dwayne W., retired now and trolling your blogs!

Halmanator said...

Hey Dwayne! Good to hear from you. I'd noticed that someone had started posting comments on my blog (OMG, a reader!) and it seemed to be someone who knew me, but I didn't catch on that it was you until you identified yourself.

Hope you're keeping well. Give my regards to Tari.

Anonymous said...

Yep, still alive and kicking at 62. Forgot to leave my moniker on some of the other posts, but I did leave some subtle clues there about who this "anonymous" mystery poster was.

Tari says hi and to have yourself a great Easter long week end!

Dwayne & Tari W.