Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Royal FUBAR

I'm not a big fan of the Royals. Heck, I'm not even a little fan of the Royals! So, for the most part, I really can't care less about the upcoming wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton, and I wish the press would find something more interesting to write about. I must admit, though, that news link that I recently glimpsed while browsing through online news stories that read something to the effect of "Major Gaffe With Royal Wedding Souvenir" aroused my curiosity enough that I had to click it to find out more.

The link took me to a story about a souvenir mug, commemorating the upcoming Royal Nuptials. The mug, which is pictured in the news story, is a very handsome, ornate-looking bit of memorabilia, if you like that kind of thing, featuring colour portraits (British spelling purposely used as it seemed appropriate in this context) of the Happy Couple along with the sorts of flourishes and embellishments normally associated with the Royals. Just one little problem, though. The portrait of the groom-to-be is not that of William, but of his brother Harry! Oops. Somebody is so fired! Actually whoever designed the mug was probably somebody as disinterested in the Royal Family as myself, who therefore wouldn't know Prince William from Harry or even Andrew. It would have been even funnier if they'd accidentally posted Charles' mug (pun intended) next to Kate's!

The story makes no mention of any plans to pull these erroneous cups from the market, though. Too bad. If only a few of them got out, they might even become an expensive collector's item; you know, like those stamps with the upside-down airplane on them. (Incidentally, thank you to the Philatelic Tidbits blog for wrecking my attempt at appearing knowledgeable and well-informed by telling the world that just about everybody knows about the infamous "Upside-down Jenny" stamp - even boorish, low-brow Simpsons fans, like myself.)

Well, at least I can amuse myself with imaginings of Prince William grabbing his little brother by the scruff of the neck whilst snarling "Oy! Wha's all this then that I 'eres about you and me missus, eh?"

At risk of going off on something of a tangent in the interest of inserting just one more cheap joke before wrapping up this post, I got a huge laugh out of a one-liner attributed to actor/comedian Jimmy Fallon recently, who mused aloud, with regard to the upcoming Royal Wedding or, more specifically, Prince William's bachelor party, that "It's got to be weird stuffing money into some stripper's bikini when every bill has a picture of your grandmother on it!"

No comments: